Friday, May 05, 2006

Flood of Memories

Last night, I thought would be an easy night. I had plans to go to the Biscuits game with co-workers and Jennifer came along in Jason's place. It was nice to sit and socialize with co-workers outside of the office and meet their spouses and children.

But, Jennifer and I took a walk to find the restroom. And suddenly, I found myself experiencing deja vu. I was standing in the same place where I stood last Fourth of July in Jason's arms watching the fireworks. A flood of memories suddenly came rushing back to me and I was overwhelmed.

We had only been back together for a week and we had just returned home from an amazing weekend in Biloxi and New Orleans. We were sunburned to the max and had been drinking all day. But, there we stood in each others arms listening to the National Anthem while watching brilliant lights bursting in the sky.

It is one of my favorite memories... and some of my favorite pictures of us were taken that night. We were so happy... so in love. Nothing could have hurt us at that time. I couldn't even imagine then that we'd be where we are today. It just seems so wrong when that felt so right. How can he have forgotten? How can he have let that feeling slip away from him? I didn't. I am still holding on strong. And I will still be here when he remembers it. I'll be here to welcome him home when he finds his way.

No comments: