Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Accomplishments

So, renovating really is a learning process. Despite the setbacks, miscalculations and other things, we did manage to get a lot accomplished this weekend.

When I thought my arms were going to fall off and I couldn’t hammer any longer, my dad and brother came over to rescue me. We managed to demolish and remove all of the concrete in the walls down to the studs inside the shower. I was able to get concrete backer board (yes, in my Camaro) to put up. Luckily for me, the backer boards are waterproof so I can shower in there once again. I picked out the paint color and I have put a test spot up on the wall and think I am going to love it. It is starting to look more like a bathroom and less like a cave, so that has got to be a good thing! Here are a few pictures of the progress of the weekend:

My brother, Jonathan looking, oh-so-happy to be helping!

The test spot of paint (the blue, not the poopy brown)

The new tiles on the floor (no more pink!)

The shower with the backer boards up... soon to be covered with the same tiles as the floor.

On the agenda tonight is to paint the walls above the beadboard and the ceiling in the blue. I alos would like to put a final coat of white paint on the beadboard, but we'lll see just how much my arms can handle. Then, tomorrow night I plan to start tiling inside the shower. I've never tiled a wall before so this should be interesting. I'll be sure to keep posting pictures. I am getting so much response to the "30 Things I Learned" that I may post a blog of all the comments I have gotten.

It's great to know so many people read this stuff and actually enjoy it! Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

lioux said...

I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. You will be so proud of it when it's all over.

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job! Keep it up.

Hubby and I finished the basement in our Townhouse years ago. It's a lot of back breaking work (I don't have to tell you that) but worth it. We built our own deck (seen in the pic on my blog) I built our brick mailbox (also seen in one of those pics) and our pool deck (that too?) Now we embark on doing the new basement. You are inspiring me.

Yeah for you to have family to help. That rocks! Take some pain reliever and keep up the great work!