Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Scratch and Sniff

Two weeks ago, I went to the doctor with a sinus infection. No biggie. Had one plenty of times. He prescribed some amoxicillin which I’ve had a thousand times as a kid. (Note to Men: you might not want to read the rest of this paragraph.) Well, as a woman, I did the smart thing and ate some yogurt everyday while on the antibiotics to prevent getting one of those wonderful “secondary infections.” No such luck. I got one anyway. So I treated myself with some over the counter stuff and it went away.

Over the next couple of days, I start to itch intensely. Not in one particular area but all over. On my leg one minute, my chest and neck the next and then my lower back. I’m scratching everywhere like a monkey. This goes on for a day or two. I’m thinking I’ve had an allergic reaction to some new clothes I wore or maybe some soap or something. I wash all my clothes and even the sheets. Still itching and scratching. After a couple more days of this, I’m afraid that my friends and co-workers are going to worry that I have fleas. So I go back to the doctor and tell him what’s going on. He says that I’ve had an allergic reaction to either the antibiotic or the over the counter medicine. I told him I’d had that antibiotic before so I didn’t think that was it. His response: “Well, you develop allergies to different things with age.” Thanks, so not only do I look like I have fleas but I’m also getting old.

Soooo… he calls in some prescriptions to the Wal-Mart pharmacy near my house. Might I remind you on any given normal day a Wal-Mart in Montgomery can induce a panic attack. I drove to the drive-up window about 10 minutes before 12. I ring the little call bell 3 times and no one answers. Remembering that they close for lunch, I think they must have left 10 minutes early. So, I decide to pick up something for lunch, go home and sit on the couch till 1 and come back.

I do exactly that. Except I decide that I’m not in such a hurry to get back to work and wait until 1:30 since I figure there will be a line when they open back up at 1. I pull up to the window and ring the call bell three times. Again, no answer. So I park my car and decide to brave the Wal-Mart crowd because I am certainly not driving back here 3 times in one day. I walk around the corner to the pharmacy and the roll gates are down and they are closed. There is a sign that says “Closed for lunch from 1:30-2:00.” It is now 1:35. It would have been really nice for that sign to be posted on the drive-up window.

No need for panic. I decide to shop around and pick up a few things I need anyway. I get three different packs of light bulbs, a new bath mat that is on clearance and a picture frame that I’ve been needing for something. I get back to the register and wait the remaining 5 minutes before they roll the window back up so that I’m first in line. I get two separate prescriptions and put my things on the counter. The check out girl just looks at me and says, “There is a 5 item check out limit back here.” Are you kidding me?! I say nothing but when she sees the very irritated look on my face, she decides to say, “I’ll do it this one time but just so you know from now on.” I pay for my items and still say nothing for fear that my head will explode if I open my mouth. I just got out of there as quickly as possible. So, I’m back at work. Wishing that I wasn’t and wanted to share this adventure of a day/week.

No comments: