Friday, August 15, 2008

Book Recommendations & a Funny Story

I’ve been reading a new series of books recommended to me by my cousin. They are the Stephanie Plum Mysteries by Janet Evanovich. I’m obsessed with them. I have read more books in the last few weeks than I have read in probably the last year. Of course, I’m not getting much sleep in order to do so. I find myself glancing at the clock at midnight thinking, just a few more pages. Then again at 1am. They are good murder mysteries but they are hilarious at the same time. I highly recommend them.

Without giving too much away, I will tell you that the lead character is in her early-thirties and has found herself taking a job as a bounty hunter with no experience at all. This as you can imagine, gets her into all sorts of trouble and embarrassing situations. In the book I was reading last night, a person who she was trying to capture broke into her apartment and attacked her. Not funny, but this leads me to my funny story for the day.

I was laying in bed reading the book and had just turned off the tv so it was totally quiet in my house. My bedroom is on the second floor. I heard a strange noise coming from downstairs. Of course, immediately my heart starts racing and I picture someone breaking the window of my front door and reaching through to let himself in. I squeeze my eyes close in hopes that the sound will go away and no one will be there. It doesn’t stop.

I creep out of bed and tiptoe around upstairs looking for something, anything I can use at a weapon. Sadly, the best thing I can find is a heavy handled hairbrush. I don’t even own a baseball bat or a gold club. I am defenseless. So I put myself in my hand and am prepared to call out, not sure who, but someone. I tiptoe down the creaky stairs and see that the front door still looks secure. I peek around the corner and the back door is fine too. I still hear the noise and can tell its coming from the kitchen. I walk around the corner to see that a large piece of paint from the ceiling is hanging down and the ceiling fan is chipping off small pieces that are clattering to the floor.

This is not the first time a chunk of my ceiling peeled off, this is just the first time it happened while I was home and scared the bejeebus out of me. My house was built in 1930 and there is not hood or ventilation system over my gas stove. So it just steams the paint right off. Guess I should put that at the top of my list of things to repair… right after I change my underpants.

No comments: