Monday, August 18, 2008

Seriously, who am I?

I went to lunch today and was really surprised at the topic of conversation I chose. Football? I mean seriously… me, Amy, willingly discussed football? And not only that, but I knew off the top of my head the names of players, coaches and different teams’ schedules. And not just Georgia and Auburn either, but several other SEC teams. And it wasn’t just limited to college football either. I even discussed NFL.

This time last year, I MAYBE could have named 3 Auburn football players’ by last name. That’s it. Until last season, I was what you could call football ignorant. Honestly, what I knew about football I learned from an electronic handheld game. And at the time, I didn’t know what I was doing, but I did know that I only had for chances to move my dot at least 10 spaces. (Stop laughing guys.) I now know that I was trying to go at least 10 yards in 4 downs. Who woulda thought?? Granted I still don’t know some of the penalties but I am getting much better.

Until recently I would have rolled my eyes and said, “Ughhh, the boys are going to talk about football” and found something else for myself to do. Not anymore. Now that I am more informed, I feel more inclined to join the conversation and learn even more. I have never been so excited about the start of college football season. Ever. I have Scott to thank for this. He is very patient with me. If something happens during a game and I don’t understand the call or the penalty, he is always more than happy to explain it to me. Granted, I have learned that it is best to wait until a commercial break or a timeout to ask for said explanation, but I always know that he is happy to teach me more about football. It is just one of the many things that I love about Scott. He’s always patient with me, not just about football.

So, I said all of that to say how excited I am that college football season starts in less than 2 weeks. I’m absolutely thrilled! I bought tickets to the opening Georgia game in Athens for Scott’s birthday. It’s a small team so I’m especially glad that I got the tickets because the game will not be on tv and I would go insane having to listen to it on the radio. Granted, I’m not the happiest about missing all of the other games that will be on tv that day, but our game is early afternoon so I’m sure we’ll catch a lot of them.

My biggest debate for this season is related to NFL. I’ve never really watched too much NFL. Previously, my only opinions have mostly been that I don’t like the Cowboys and I do like the Greenbay Packers. But this year, I can’t decide… was I ever really a Packers fan? Or just a Brett Favre fan? I just don’t think it will be the same to cheer for the Packers without Favre but I don’t think that I can see myself cheering for the NY Jets? Am I alone in this? Is anyone else having this battle with themselves? I think for now I have decided that I might just cheer for the Colts instead, as I have always hat the hots for Peyton Manning as well. I guess we’ll see once the season starts how I feel when I watch a game. That’s what its all about anyway, right? Cheering for whom you feel most loyal to?

So, for now it’s GO DAWGS all the way! And for NFL, TBD. Happy football season everyone!

1 comment:

Liöüx said...

FOOTBALL?!?!!

WHO ARE YOU?!?!!!

Seriously.