Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Excuse me, is that a fungus?

Scott and I had our trip to the beach this weekend. We got in pretty late on Thursday night. Once settled into our room, we grabbed a blanket and headed over to the beach with a little flashlight. We laid out there for hours listening to the waves, watching little sand crabs pop up and talking about all the things we normally don’t have time to discuss. It was a really good start to the trip.

Friday afternoon, we made our drinks and packed our cooler and headed back out onto the beach. The weather was great. Hot, but great. After sitting on our blanket for just a little while, I decided I better go ahead and put some sunscreen on. I had a can of SPF 15 that sprays on and thought I’d just put some on my chest and shoulders. I pulled out the can and pointed it at my chest, pushed the button, and the can basically spit on me. Just a few little spurty bubbles came out. I guess we had used it all the previous weekend at a pool party. I have a pretty good base tan so I figured I would be alright and had some SPF 50 if completely necessary.

So we enjoyed the afternoon swimming and meeting other people on the beach. Scott is far more social and less shy than I am, and so we met several very interesting people while there. He always amazes me with his ability to meet and hold conversations with perfect strangers. I wish I were more like that.

After about five hours on the beach, Scott looked cooked. Despite my insistence that he needed some sunscreen, he never applied any. When we got back to the room, I noticed that I was a bit pink myself. Upon further inspection, I noticed something that looked like a fungus growing up my chest. It took me a few minutes to realize exactly what it was. Everywhere that the sunscreen had “spit” on me had left little white circles and everywhere else was red. Luckily, now a couple of days later the red has faded and I don’t think you can tell anymore. But that just goes to show just how well even SPF 15 works!

And on a side note, the great conversation on Thursday night did include some discussion about commitment and the future of our relationship. Nothing was necessarily decided, but I was able to express my concerns and let him know how I’m feeling and what I’m thinking. I don’t know which direction that will drive him, but I do know that I got through to him and made an impact. He knows that he’s got to figure out what it is that he wants. I can only hope that in the end, he decides that he wants the same things that I do. For now, I’ve decided to give him a little more room to breathe, think and hopefully to miss me. So, we’ll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

No comments: