Friday, May 30, 2008

Tooting My Own Horn

Can I just say that I'm proud of myself? After tiling the countertops last week, I decided to tackle tiling the kitchen and laundry room floors. While Scott and I were in TN visiting his family, we made a trip to Home Depot to pick up some supplies to help his cousin finish his basement. You can’t take me into Home Depot without me finding something I “need.” I decided to price out buying a wet saw versus renting one. They had one for only $88! SOLD! So my souvenir from our trip to TN was a wetsaw and some tin backsplash tiles. I was thrilled. So when we got home, I picked out my tile color and got all my stuff together.

Saturday, I put most of the solid tiles down and then left for Valley for the weekend. I used my wet saw on Tuesday night for the first time and was surprised that I actually did a good job and managed not to cut off any limbs or appendages. I did cut myself a couple of times, but only on the sharp edge of a cut tile and NOT the saw thankfully.

One note about wet saws: The little safety guard not only keeps you from touching the blade and little bits from flying out into your face…but it also keep the stream of water from shooting directly into your eyes. I found this out the hard way.

Last night, I grouted the kitchen and I am amazed at how well it turned out considering my lack of experience. I’m really impressed that I was able to do this completely by myself. Scott helped take the quarter round off around the floor and moved the refrigerator for me, but other than that, I have done this all myself. Thus, the tooting of my own horn. I’m a little proud, can ya tell?

Anyway, so the kitchen is almost done. I just have to clean up one more time, seal the grout and put down new quarter round and then its on to the laundry room. Here’s a pic of the progress, but keep in mind the tile is still a little hazy from the grout:


I know they look a little orangy but they are actually tan. I can't wait until its all done!

No comments: