Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Another One of Those Days

Once again this morning, I woke up to find that I had no hot water. A trip down to the basement revealed that it was once again full of water and my pilot light was out. Yes, I got a new sump the last time the basement flooded. Yes, it was working properly. Yes, there was a kink in the hose preventing any of the water from being pumped out. So I unkinked the hose and the water started to flush out. I called my grandmother who lives nearby and asked if she minded if I used her shower since I knew I didn’t have enough time to wait for it to heat up. I get ready and manage to make to work only about 15 minutes late.

So, Dad came over to the house at lunch to help me get the pilot light relit. No such luck. Luckily for me, Scott just happens to be coming to Montgomery tonight because it’s my brother’s birthday and we’re all having dinner. She gets to be the next one to attempt to relight it.

So once Dad was unsuccessful at lighting the pilot light, I go into the kitchen to make him something for lunch. I have been in Valley since Friday, so this is the first time I have really been in my kitchen since then. I discover that a loaf of sourdough bread has been invaded by some sort of rodent. And it was ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER. Which means there were little nasty mouse feet on my counter. So to say the least, I am not a happy camper. I have looked all over the house and I haven’t found any droppings or any other sign of them, but I know they have to be around there somewhere.

So, now my debate is what sort of traps to get? I know not to use poison because they eat it and die in the walls and you smell them for weeks. But I don’t want to see a smashed mouse in a trap either. So, that leaves me with the sticky traps or the kind that closes up and captures the mouse. But then what am I supposed to do with it? I’m certainly not going to touch it! And I think I would feel like a horrible person if I just threw a mouse in the trash to starve to death? I don’t think I can do it? Anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone want to volunteer to come remove a mouse when I catch one?

I'm beginning to think I should sell my house and get a little apartment so there will be a maintenance man to call when these things happen!

Update: I left out the part about my car. My keys keep getting stuck in the ignition. It used to happen only in the winter time when it was really cold outside in the mornings. But if you didn't already know, it feels like springtime out the right now so its not the cold. I have no idea what to do about it? I didn't think I was going to be able to get in my house at lunch because I couldn't get my keys out. (This of course was before I realized the fact that I could take my house key off the key ring and use it to get in - DUH!) So if anyone has any suggestions about what might be wrong or what I can do to fix it, feel free to let me know! I'm hoping if I just leave the keys in it, someone will do me a favor and steal it!

No comments: