Thursday, February 21, 2008

For Once Counting on Karma

I was walking up the large hallway of my new office building today. I had a lot on my mind. I’ve been stressing a lot lately. My sister had surgery this morning. My grandmother in North Carolina whom I haven’t seen in over three years was taken to the emergency room and admitted to the hospital today. I’m worried about my financial situation since I won’t get my first paycheck from the new job for a month. So, I walked and ahead of me I notices a woman passing by and something fell out of her pocket. As I got closer I realized it was money. Without a thought, I scooped up the money and dashed toward the elevator where I had seen the woman waiting to get on. As I came around the corner, the doors were beginning to shut and I yelled, “Ma’am! You dropped your money ma’am!” She managed to hit the button and the doors opened back up just long enough for me to reach my hand through and give her the money. It wasn’t until I began walking away that I realized what I had done. Without even a but of thought, I gave the money back to the woman when it would have been so much easier to pick it up and put it in my own pocket. Especially when I’m worried about money. Especially when I needed that exact amount of cash to play Bunko tonight. But I didn’t. I guess I judt don’t think that way. The right thing to do seems to be the natural thing to do. I want to believe that it only makes me a good person and something to be proud of, but the fact that I am missing that devious gene also makes me susceptible to the kind of people who do have it. I am too trusting. For now, I’m going to hope that I created a little bit of positive karma in my favor. I’m going to hope that it helps get my Grandma home safe and sound. I’m going to hope that it helps my sister heal up fast. Maybe its wishful thinking, but what’s wrong with that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.