Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Halloween Parties

Today, I was invited to a friend’s Halloween party. I immediately got on the internet and started looking for good costume ideas. Suddenly, it occurred to me that I’d better double check and make sure that this Halloween party is in fact a costume party. There is a very good reason why I thought of it.

When I was in junior high, my best friend at the time (Amber) and I decided to get good costumes for the Halloween Dance at school. She went as Cleopatra, so we sprayed her hair black and did crazy eye makeup. I went as Peter Pan and even painted all my nails green. We arrived at the dance to find that we were the ONLY two people wearing costumes. As if that wasn’t embarrassing enough, I forgot my hat with a feather in it. Allow me to remind you that I am nearly six feet tall and have been since before I was in junior high. So, without my hat… everyone thought that I was dressed at the Jolly Green Giant. People were coming up to me all night saying “Ho ho ho! Green Giant!” This was before the days of everyone having a cell phone, so there was no calling mom to come back and get us. We just had to stick it out and wait until the dance was over.

To top it off, I couldn't find green nail polish so I used an acrylic paint on my nails which I thought would remove easily with nail polish remover. Wrong. I had green stained finger and toe nails for weeks and so, continued to be called the Green Giant.

This is not a mistake that I wish to repeat. I confirmed. It IS a costume party and I WILL NOT be Peter Pan.

No comments: