Thursday, November 19, 2009

Peace Lily

Last Friday, Scott took the Jeep to get serviced since we were taking it on the trip the Athens for the football game. I went to pick it up for him and there’s a very nice older woman who does their billing and I always end up staying a while chatting with her. She lost her daughter several years ago in an accident and she talks about her a lot. She told me that her birthday is near mine and Thanksgiving and that this time of year is always hard. But, she said shortly after her daughters death someone gave her a peace lily and that she sat by it and prayed for a sign from God that her daughter was alright and with him. She said the next day, her peace lily bloomed and she knew it was her sign. It was a nice story and at the time I didn’t give it too much thought.

I have a peace lily on my desk that Mama Shell gave me in June of 2006 when I had my gall bladder removed. The last few weeks, I’ve been worried about it because it looked a little wilted. This morning, it looks great and there’s a single bloom on it. To my knowledge, it has only bloomed once since I’ve had it. I’ve been thinking and dreaming about Mama Shell a lot this week, with Georgia Lou getting closer to being here, our first Thanksgiving and my first birthday without her. I have to believe that it was a sign from Mama Shell that she knows I’m thinking of her and that she’s here in spirit. I’m upset a lot that Mama Shell died just two weeks before I found out I was pregnant and that I never got to tell her. So it means a lot to me to know that she knows anyway.


No comments: