Friday, September 18, 2009

Unveiling


It’s been such a long time since I blogged. Its not for a lack of material, its due to a lack of mental capacity to organize my thoughts into words. I was already scatter brained and this “pregnancy fog” is only making it worse. At lunch yesterday, some of my co-workers were discussing the unveiling of a statue that is coming up. Well, it reminded me of a good story that I’ve not blogged about before.

My senior year in high school, I was the VP of the Student Council. The rest of the seniors and I decided that we’d like to have a fund raiser and buy a plaque to say thank you to the two teachers that sponsored the Student Council. I helped in the fundraisers but the president handled the ordering of the marker. The plan was to place the marker at the trunk of a newly planted tree on school grounds. The stone would be partially buried with the engraved side facing up, obviously. So she was able to get a good deal on a piece of stone on which a mistake had been made. Since that side was going to be buried in the ground, it didn’t make any difference. The president didn’t bother to share this detail with me. We decided to unveil the marker at a pep rally in the gym in front of the entire student body before it was placed under the tree. The day of the rally, the President was out sick. So it became my job to pull back the sheet to reveal the marker. Well, I didn’t know that I was only supposed to reveal the FRONT of the marker so I yanked the sheet off the whole thing. A huge gasp in unison came from the senior section, which was on the backside of the marker. I was horrified to realize that a person’s name and birth and death date were engraved on the back! So embarrassing. I don’t even remember what I did at that point. In facet, I didn’t even remember it until yesterday when I told that story at lunch. I think maybe I must have blocked it.

2 comments:

Lane said...

I do not remember that at all! That is hilarious!

Bethany said...

I must have missed that one too... because I think I would have remembered a headstone... lol. But yikes... and hey it has been 10 years... lol.